What about patterns? In Model Driven Architecture with Executable UML by Raistrick, Francis, Wright, Carter, and Wilkie, they have listed some common modeling patterns. Leon Starr’s Executable UML book on class modeling is another good source for patterns. Recognizing and making patterns available for transformation to a target language opens up huge possibilities for optimization of the output.
– parsing of model to discover patterns
— model could be parsed in a transformed representation
– Are patterns metamodel specific?
– How to make patterns available to target language transformer?
What about marks?
– Some marks could be handled in mapping
– Some marks might be applied to patterns or other more complex designations